Discarded cigarette causes house fire in N. Portland – kgw.com


Nate Hanson, KGW.com Staff
9:40 p.m. PDT July 18, 2015

PORTLAND, Ore. — An improperly discarded cigarette started a house fire in Northeast Portland Saturday afternoon, according to Portland fire investigators.

Firefighters arrived at the house, located at 9134 N. Polk Ave., at 4:17 p.m. Heavy smoke was coming from the back of the home and extending into the neighbor’s yard and shed, and threatening the home, according to Portland Fire & Rescue.

Additional crews were called at 4:22 p.m. because the fire spread to multiple structures. The 50 firefighters quickly brought the fire under control, Lt. Tommy Schroeder said.

The neighbor’s yard burned quickly and spot fires popped up in other yards because of flying embers, Schroeder said.

Investigators determined the discarded cigarette ignited the deck, which spread to the house, nearby arborvitae and the neighbor’s shed.

Other top stories:

Woman rescued from burning car at gas station fire

Newberg police chief on leave: ‘It makes no sense’

1 dead, 3 injured in Salem strip club shooting

Car slammed into Salem home, nearly hits 2 children

Keep up-to-date with the latest news in the Portland metro area and beyond. Tap to get our free KGW News app!

Read or Share this story: https://on.kgw.com/1J8CM2p

– Click Here To Visit Article Source

Contact Us -- Privacy Policy -- Terms Of Use -- Sitemap