Portland Timbers play at LA Galaxy: Live chat, guide to game day – OregonLive.com
It was not a good performance by the Portland Timbers on Wednesday night as they were shut out and embarrassed by the defending champion LA Galaxy in Los Angeles by a score of 5-0.
In the match, the Timbers gave up five goals, star midfielder Darlington Nagbe left the game with a possible shoulder injury and Timbers captain and top defender Liam Ridgewell earned a red card late in the match and will be suspended for Sunday’s matchup with rival Seattle.
– LA 5, Portland 0: In the 87th minute, Portland forms a bad wall on a set piece and José Villarreal scores on a ball bent to the outside and past Adam Kwarasey for a goal. This will be a crushing loss for Portland.
– LA 4, Portland 0: In the 72nd minute, Jack Jewsbury gives the ball away deep in Timbers territory. The ball is touch-passed to Juninho and he beats the last defender for an easy goal. Portland playing for pride at this point.
– LA 3, Portland 0: In the 33rd minute, LA have blown this game wide open. Robbie Keane finds Robbie Rodgers cutting into the box with a great ball that finds Rodgers in rhythm and that allows him to drill a shot far post for the third Galaxy goal of the game. Awful defensive performance for Portland thus far.
– LA 2, Portland 0: In the 18th minute, Sebastian Lletget gets inside the box again and is taken down by Maxi Urruti of Portland. Penalty immediately awarded to LA and Robbie Keane takes it. He outdoes Timbers keeper Adam Kwarsey who dives to his left as Keane slots the ball into the opposite side for the goal.
– LA 1, Portland 0: In the 13th minute, a deflection after some nice passing leads the ball right to Sebastian Lletget who nails a shot into the back of the net for the game’s first goal. LA leads early.
*** With the ESPN broadcast of MLB Baseball going late, the Portland Timbers game start time has been moved to 8:10 p.m. and the game will begin on ESPN News.***
The Portland Timbers (7-5-4, 25 points) play host to the LA Galaxy (6-5-7, 25 points)
When: 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Where: StubHub Center, Carson, Calif.
Weather at kickoff: Partly cloudy, low 70s.
On the air: TV: ESPN2; radio: 750 AM, 102.9 FM/The Game (English); La GranD 93.5 FM (Spanish)
Twitter hashtags: #RCTID, #LAvPOR
What’s your prediction? Who are the key players in this matchup? Add your questions and predictions and join us in the live chat during the game in the comments below.