Suspect surrenders hours after Ore. City standoff –

Ashley Korslien, KGW Staff
2:43 p.m. PST January 23, 2015

OREGON CITY, Ore. — A SWAT team surrounded a home in Oregon City after gunfire erupted at the house late Thursday night. Friday morning police found no one inside the home, but the suspect who fled turned himself in several hours later.

Neighbors reported hearing four or five shots from the home in the 300 block of Myrtle Street and someone screaming for help, police said.

While en route, dispatchers received a call from homeowner James Stallings, who said his roommate had discharged a .44 magnum in his direction.

“I was in the living room, going to clean my pistol,” James Stallings said. “And all of a sudden he grabbed it, and the next thing I know, he started shooting.”

A friend inside the home at the time, Michael Erp, told KGW he convinced the shooter to hand over the gun.

“I said, ‘Just give me the gun. Give me the gun. It’s done, it’s over. Give me the gun,’ and he handed me the gun and I put it under a pillow and I sat on it.”

Stallings said the man who fired the shots, later identified as 31-year-old Christopher John Earl Porter, then ran upstairs into a bedroom. It was unclear if he was still armed. Police used a bullhorn to coax him out but there was no response.

Between 5 and 6 a.m., police fired seven gas canisters into the home and entered the first floor. Around 7 a.m., police announced that no one was found in the house. They believe Porter fled out a side door as they were arriving.

A K-9 unit was used for an immediate search around the house. Police then turned their attention to locations the suspect may frequent.

Finally at about 2:30 p.m., police announced that Porter had surrendered inside the Oregon City Police Station. A sergeant at the scene said a friend had convinced Porter to turn himself in.


KGW reporter Mark Hanrahan Contributed to this report

Read or Share this story:

– Click Here To Visit Article Source

Contact Us -- Privacy Policy -- Terms Of Use -- Sitemap